Saturday, February 6, 2010

Palindrome hits home

A dear congregant included me in an email she sent out some weeks ago with the following youtube video attached. It had been sent to her from other friends with this message: "This is a video that was submitted in a contest by a 20-year old. The contest was titled "u @ 50" by AARP. This video won second place. When they showed it, everyone in the room was awe-struck and broke into spontaneous applause. So simple and yet so brilliant."

I vaguely remember learning about palindromes and can't remember when I last saw/read one.  I was intrigued, as I hope you will be, when I learned that this 1 minute and 44 second video is a palindrome!  Just in case you've forgotten, a palindrome reads the same backward as forward. This video reads the exact opposite backwards as forward. Not only does it read the opposite, the meaning is the exact opposite.


The reason that I've chosen to share this video on my blog is because I found the idea clever and the message powerful.  I'm not that far from being 50 years old myself, and reading, as well as hearing, the words of this 20 year old, inspired me and brought me joy.  The video has actually reminded me to live in the skin of my best self, to act from the depths of my compassion, and to nuture & reinvigorate my own creativity.  Wow!  That's quite a tally of lessons learned from one brief AARP-sponsored video contest winner, isn't it?

Sharing those moments and events in our lives that do teach us something valuable, make us think, inspire us, or challenge us, is important.  And sometimes those "moments and events" are emails!  I think it's great that through the use of technology we can share with people all over the globe.  Our idea of community widens and our ability to share and care is broadened.  This is the positive and productive side of social networking and twenty-first century technology.  It's so nice to focus on the positive.  And that's just what this palindrome did for me.

Take a minute and forty-four seconds to watch the video and see if there might be a lesson for you, or perhaps just a bit of inspiration, comfort, challenge, or even joy!
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA

Please let me hear from you.  I want to know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! That was awesome. Dismal, dark and disturbing at first because I have heard all that, but turn it around and light appears. Change your attitude - change your life. yep..that's what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen,
    I think action to help people all over our country is needed. I believe helping people with issues of discrimination, along with a great many other acts of abuse, is addressed through Justice for All. I am a strong proponent and associate for Prepaid Legal Services which affords many people access to legal help that they,otherwise,could not afford. Please contact me for ways to help the people who need it.
    Cindy Wead 928-273-4384 Yes, I live in AZ.

    ReplyDelete