Wednesday, September 23, 2009

65 years and counting!

It's been a while since I last posted, but that's not because I haven't found any joy lately! On the contrary I've had much joy and been inspired by some lovely people, places, and things.


On Sept. 20th, my husband and I celebrated 17 years of marriage - 17 years of joy mixed with struggle, pain, and lots of laughter. We didn't do anything special on our anniversary. Well, I guess I should say that we didn't do anything special on our anniversary that was private or "all about us". We spent our anniversary doing some of the usual Sunday things that a minister's family does. But when the afternoon rolled around we prepared to celebrate - celebrate another anniversary far more auspicious than our own. A dear couple from my congregation was celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary and I was conducting a vow renewal ceremony at that celebration.


Imagine a 50-something, heavy-set belly dancer, fully & tastefully dressed senior hula dancers, a high school bag pipe player, guests wearing plastic leis and big smiles, a beautiful mountain view, and a wedding couple in matching flower print garb. Throw in various whimsical treats found throughout the house and grounds, like a little chocolate fountain in the kitchen, a bubble-blowing machine on the roof, an incredible Paddington Bear collection in the living room, a DJ playing 1940's tunes exclusively, various finger foods and lots of sangria, and you've got the makings for a very unique party!

The vow renewal was short and sweet and included the two grown daughters of the lovely couple. There were giggles from the gathered family and friends when I pronounced them "husband and wife for life", and the kiss (yes, the groom insisted on kissing the bride as part of the ceremony) was enough to make anyone smile with tears in their eyes.

Because of our ages, I know that my husband and I won't make it to 65 years, but we are so grateful for the 17 we've had already and the many more we hope to have. We were inspired by the celebration and vow renewal of our dear friends and we received the great gift of joy that day - our anniversary day - that we will always remember.

Isn't it remarkable how someone else's joy can be so contagious that you not only catch it, you can't wait to infect yet someone else?! Here's to infectious, contagious, beautiful, everlovin' joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment