Monday, October 19, 2009

Sweet days of Autumn!

There is nothing like a beautiful drive to Julian, California, to bring immense joy to my life! Autumn has always been my favorite season, and living in San Diego has made it a bit challenging to reconnect with the season I love and associate with the smell of burning leaves and crackling logs in the fireplace; the taste of fresh apple cider; the sight of jolly orange pumpkins and speckled gourds; the feel of crispness in the air. This is where a drive to Julian comes in order.



I've been sitting around lately with my mysterious illness that is supposedly Epstein Barr virus, and longing for the energy that Autumn usually brings me. Even in San Diego, where the seasons are football, baseball, basketball, and you-name-it-ball, the air does change slightly and I convince myself that Autumn is here. But today I needed a jumpstart in the joy department and so convinced my husband, son, and dog, to take a drive. It didn't take much convincing. We all needed a little Autumnal joy! It was slightly thrilling to pack our jackets in the car as we headed out. All four of us excited at the thought of what was awaiting us just an hour away.


It never ceases to amaze me. Nature, that is. I will be the first to admit that I'm not really much of what you would call an outdoorsy type. But I can fully appreciate, and be completely awed at, the wondrous beauty of the mountains and the magnificence of the foliage. It is the natural world of earth, wind, fire, and air that inspires me to a place of joy and gratitude. I am grateful to be feeling better than I did a week ago and find joy in knowing that I will feel even better two weeks from now. I knew all along that I would feel better eventually; that I would return to the congregation that I love; that I am so blessed to have a loving family and caring friends. I knew it somewhere deep in my being and yet it took today's trip to the little mining town of Julian, for me to claim it.



May you be blessed with the inspiration and joy of nature in this season of Autumn, wherever you might live. Joy from Julian!

No comments:

Post a Comment