Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Good bye and good riddance!


I will admit it.  I'm doing the happy dance just thinking about 2009 leaving, and 2010 arriving!  Of course, I know there are lessons in all the crisis, and trauma, and ugliness, and sadness that was 2009.  Yes, I do know that there were times of joy and laughter, happiness and hope.  But I have never before felt so ready for a new year to begin; primarily because I can't wait to give the old year a swift kick out the door!

It's been a rough year for so many people that I know personally; family, friends, congregants, colleagues.  It's been a rough year for our country and for our planet.  2009 was a year I'll never forget but would never want to re-live.

And  here comes 2010!  It will likely hold some of the same sorrow and trials, but I'm hoping that I've learned a little something in 2009 that will help me to be a better person in 2010.  I'm hoping that what I have learned from the difficulties in 2009 will enable me to better handle the difficulties that may present themselves in 2010.  Is it too much to hope that others will have learned something too, and that they might also be better people and make better choices, and handle our interconnected lives with a bit more civility and compassion?  Don't get all cyncial on me now.  Let's say it together, "Yes, we can"!

There is joy is saying good bye to 2009.  There is even greater joy in saying hello to 2010, for the new year holds promise and possibility not yet experienced.

A congregant of mine sent out New Year's wishes that gave me a laugh.  I joyfully share with you: 
My Wish for You in 2010

May peace break into your home and may thieves come to steal your debts.
May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet for $100 bills.
May love stick to your face like Vaseline and may laughter assault your lips!
May happiness slap you across the face and may your tears be that of joy.
May the problems you had, forget your home address!
In simple words ............ May 2010 be the best year of your life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment