Monday, December 21, 2009

A light in the dark

Yesterday, I led a worship service that focused on the celebration of the Winter Solstice.  It never ceases to tickle my fancy when I share with the congregation that the origins of what most people call "Christmas" have pagan roots.  I enjoy reaching back into ancient history and connecting with those roots.  It is in the honoring and celebrating of the Winter solstice that I take time to consider the importance of darkness in my life.  This is a time when I embrace the darkness with full hope of the light returning.


I won't pretend that embracing the darkness is easy, or even 'enjoyable'.  The darkness can be painful.  It is loss, crisis, transition, turmoil, and uncertainty.  But the darkness is also a time for pause; for regrouping; for resting; possibly for re-evaluating life and what is truly important.  I am learning to embrace the darkness with faith that the light will return.  I have come to know, through my own dark times, that the light of love is never completely absent, even in the darkness.  It is germinating and gaining strength for the day when it will blossom once again.  That's what the holiday season is all about - the light of love ready to be born anew in our lives. 


Whether your celebration is about a baby named Jesus, or oil in a lamp, or the sun returning as the wheel of the year is turned, or any other number of special traditions and rituals, be not afraid of the dark.  Know that each and every one of us experiences darkness.  It has been a part of the life cycle since the beginning.  May the light of the holidays remind us all of the light of love that comes after the darkness; bringing us peace and opening the door to joy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment