Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Let It Go

So much to blog about - So little time!   This is simply my way of saying there is so much going on, with so many opportunities to find joy.  This is not to say that much of what seems to be "going on" in many of our lives feels chaotic, uncertain, or confusing.  Change is everywhere!   The big question is how do we handle change?  How do you handle change? 
In a recent sermon I spoke about change as transition, and the need to let go in order to be open to the possibilities that will present themselves as a result of change.  I didn't say that letting go was easy.  Letting go is a practice that requires intentionality and faith.  I'm referring to faith as trust - trust in your best self, trust in those you love, trust in the universe and whatever you consider the Great Mystery or Divine in your life.
One of the most common quotes used in situations of loss, change, and transition, comes from poet Mary Oliver:
To live in this world you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal, to hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it, and, when the times comes to let it go, to let it go.
I must admit that I am learning to let go.  It's a difficult practice for me, but I know that it is a necessary practice.  There is humility in letting go; a humility that most of us could use a little more of.  So many lessons in the practice of letting go.  I'd love to hear about your struggles and successes with letting go, change, and the opportunities that open through transition.
May you know joy in your letting go and on the other side of transition!

No comments:

Post a Comment