Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Power Of A Hug

A dear couple from my congregation recently sent me a message that let me know they cared about me and were always available to give me a hug.  This message came just a couple of weeks after I formally announced my resignation as minister of the congregation.  It is a time of loss and grief for me and for many in the congregation, so you might imagine my joy at receiving such a message from congregants.  And then, embedded in the message was this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=hN8CKwdosjE
Please take the time to watch it, or re-watch it if you've seen it before.  Send it to anyone you know who could use a hug and isn't in close enough proximity for you to give them a hug in person.  The power of a hug cannot be overstated.

It saddens me that because of sexual harrassment and fear of inappropriate touching our society is fast becoming hugless!  I'm not convinced that a hugless society is a safe society.  There's a plethora of scientific studies that proclaim the value and importance of human touch in the lives of those who live alone, those with disabilities, the elderly, and children.   We could all use a hug now and again! 

In seminary I was told that giving my congregants hugs was something I needed to be careful about.  I understand the reasoning behind the cautionary advice, and I am always aware of my role as minister, but I am not willing to be hugless.  I couldn't agree more that giving an unwanted hug is definitely not a good idea!  But from my experience, both personal and professional,  asking for permission either verbally or simply by opening your arms will most often result in a hug.  If a hand is extended I know that a hand-hug will have to do.
  
Joy can be found in connecting with another person and a simple hug has the potential and power to bring joy to life.  I plan to give and receive more hugs.  I'm not promising to stand in the town square with a "Free Hugs" sign, but you never know!

Give a hug today.  Feel the joy that a hug can bring!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rev. Kathleen,
    I remember my JOY at discovering you at Summit UU. I remember the JOY I feel when having the privilege to hear your sermons, and the perfect fit of your words for my heart, soul and intellect. I also remember reaching for you in a warm and spontaneous hug as we left the sanctuary some time ago. I am so glad you allowed the hug and it reverberates still. I try to pass it on---
    Barbara Brooks Nutter

    ReplyDelete