Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Day 1!

Well, here it is. This is the first day, first post, first public musing from the Pulpit of Joy.

It isn't an easy task to find joy each and every day, but I do believe that it is possible. Yes, call me the cock-eyed optimist, but joy is there. It may be, and often is, in the simplest of what I might consider the mundane moments of my life, but it is nevertheless there.

With the healthcare crisis looming overhead and the vitriol that's being spewed about at Town Hall meetings across the country, finding joy can be like a game of hide-and-seek. It is important to be angry when injustice continues to rear its ugly head. It is understandable to be disappointed when trust has been compromised. It is perfectly normal, and healthy, to feel a sense of loss, sadness, and grief, when your life journey takes a turn in that direction. But it is equally important to find joy. Balance is the key to a life fulfilled. Now I do not have the best sense of balance. As far as the balance beam of life goes, I'm no Shawn Johnson - not even close. But I do know the importance of balance and I will continue to strive for it; seeking out joy in my everyday life.



As for today, let me share that there is joy in the five minute car ride with an almost fifteen-year-old young man when the conversation goes beyond grunts of agreement or eyerolling (yes, boys do the eyeroll too) of disagreement. It is pure joy when you hear a smile in your child's voice and see a smile in your child's eyes. That is joy and for that I am grateful.

More to come from the Pulpit of Joy!

2 comments: