Monday, August 31, 2009

Today it's difficult

This afternoon a congregant of mine died. While he wasn't in good health to start, this came rather suddenly and my heart has been heavy today. I grieve for his family. I grieve for the congregation, as this is the fourth death in just a few months time. Today it has been difficult to appreciate and embrace joy. It's not that it hasn't been there for me, it's just been difficult to reach out and grab it.

A sparkle of joy crept into my being this evening (I must have left the door open a tiny bit!) as I watched the local high school marching band practice their drill. Seeing nearly one hundred teenagers working so hard, with such amazingly positive attitudes, how could I not smile? Tonight I choose joy. Tomorrow may be just as difficult as today, but tonight I take a break from my grief and I choose joy - teenagers making music and marching with precision!

No comments:

Post a Comment