Friday, May 28, 2010

May 27

Today, after riding an emotional roller coaster and feeling quite confused, I found joy!  I found joy in the smile and confidence of my son who was named winner of the Louis Armstrong award at his high school last night.  This award is given to the jazz musician whose talent and love for jazz excels.  His name will be added to a permanent plaque that is kept in the music department for all to see.  You know I'm one proud Momma right now! 
But it's not the pride that brings me joy.  It's the confidence this award and its recognition gives my son that brings me joy.  The young men and women that will have a hand in shaping the future for all of us need to hear that their talents and passions are recognized, appreciated, and valued.  "Clean up your room" and "Stop that texting." are not to be completely abandoned.  But "You are an amazing person" is so much more important.
Where did you find joy today? 

1 comment:

  1. Nelson Norman (linked to Lois Davies)May 28, 2010 at 11:18 AM

    Any kid who gets a Louie Armstrong award is tops to our family, too. Satchmo was a big favorite of wife Dottie. I liked his reply to the question, "What is Jazz?" Sez Louie, "If you have to ask you will never know!"
    Our six kids and 18 grandkids are just muddling along. But Rosie, wife of Grandson Mike, just got her MA at SDSU in POETRY! (Like the blog)

    ReplyDelete